Chef Quique García of CASA GRAU provides another of a series of simple recipes for you to try at home – homemade pickles.
These are ideal to accompany salads and sandwiches, as an aperitif or simply to eat alone. You can take advantage of any leftover vegetables that you have in the fridge such as lemons, cauliflower, carrots, purple onions, red, green and yellow pepper, cucumbers.
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper seeds
- 1 branch of dill
- 2 coriander sprigs
- 1 piece chilli (only if you like a spicy touch)
- 400 ml white wine or apple or cider vinegar
- 250 ml water
- 2 heaped tablespoons of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
You can, of course, vary all these amounts to taste.
- Before cleaning the bottle or container into which you are going to put the pickles, you can boil it in a bain-marie (a special hot water bath) for at least 5 minutes.
- Cut all the vegetables into pieces; you can cut them into julienne strips, squares or as you prefer.
- Put the vinegar in the container then add the water, salt, sugar, pepper and coriander seeds, the dill branches and leave to marinate for at least two days.
The interesting thing about this recipe is that it does not cook the vegetables soft but leaves them completely crisp. can also use celery, broccoli, thyme, olives … use your imagination!
RELATED LINK: Restaurant Directory – Casa Grau