MATCH REPORT | SD Sueca 0-1 CD Jávea

An early goal from Elian secured the first three points for CD Jávea since mid-November and inches the club away from the drop zone.

Tuesday 17th January 2023
Mike Smith

A first win since November. A first win under new head coach Julio Ivorra. And an unlikely ‘double’ victory over a side in the top half of the table after the opening day home win back in September.

So it was a good start to the second half of the season for CD Jávea, who claimed victory with a goal from Elián just a few minutes into the match. The move was started by José Cabo, who left his marker and shot at goal, his left-footed effort initially parried by the goalkeeper but Elián was alert enough to pounce and put the ball into the net from the edge of the area. There were some good minutes for Ivorra’s men, Luís García almost doubled the advantage but the home keeper blocked his effort well. The strong wind was in favour of the Sueca but they hardly worried Jávea keeper Tonet until about half an hour in the game when they intensified their play and might have equalised through Clausí, who instead shot high of the goal, and then the same player fired an accurate header which Tonet safely saved, maintaining Jávea’s lead at half-time.

The second part began with more dominance of the home side who sought that elusive equaliser but without clear chances. Jávea, now playing with the wind, created some danger but couldn’t find a way through to increase the margin. And then, 60 minutes in, Sueca found themselves a man down. Jávea’s Rubén Ortolá left his marker but was hauled down in front of the goal and the referee sent off the offender in the face of protests from the local players. The subsequent free kick from Luís García on the edge of the area hit the outside of the post and went wide.

Cabo, who was very active on the right flank, put in a precise cross that Luis García finished off high and with the locals a man down, Jávea’s attacks were dangerous. Luis García again shrugged off his marker and appeared to be knocked down inside the area but the referee awarded the free-kick at edge of the area; Borja’s shot is pushed out for a corner by the keeper. Finally, goalscorer Elián appeared to have been pulled down inside the area and this time the referee does not whistle. Sueca almost scored in the final minutes of the game but Tonet was on hand to palm the ball out for a corner. After six minutes of added time, the game ended with a rare victory for CD Jávea.


opo, Pablo, Melo (Civera, 46m), Carrasco (Fos, 46m), Jero, Hugo, Toni, Calzado, Clausí (Jimmy, 72m), Tudela, Migue.


Tonet, Joan, Aldo, Mario, Catu, Fran (Borja, 80m), Elián, Marcos (Ramis, 56m), Luis, Cabo (Tomás, 68m) y Rubén (Carlos, 68m).