MATCH REPORT | CD Jávea 1-3 CD Dénia

Borja put Jávea ahead before Panucci, Castillo and Fede secured victory for Dénia.

Monday 6th February 2023
Mike Smith with Xàbia AL DÍA

More than 700 fans turned out for the Marina Alta derby – the Montgó Clash – between local rivals CD Jávea and CD Dénia, prompting queues at the entrance not seen for some time at the Campo d’Esports Municipal. Curious neutrals in the stand would not have been disappointed by an explosive match which saw the visitors finish up walking away with three points, leaving the home side crestfallen after having taken the lead. As a derby game, there would have been few better examples of what it means to take victory.

CD Jávea had the better start when, after 10 minutes, Borja side-footed skillfully beyond the keeper after breaking free of his marker to meet a great cross from the right flank from José Cabo. 1-0 to the home side and the fans were loving it.

The visitors responded by quickly taking control of the midfield and then carve out a series of opportunities giving Jávea’s defence and its custodian Tonet plenty to do which occasionally led to some panic at the back. Thus, there was little surprise when Dénia equalised on 27 minutes, pouncing on an error by the defence which allowed Lucas to snatch away the ball and pass to Panucci to slide the ball home into an empty net with the keeper stranded well off his line. Dénia continued to push and almost went ahead through Fede but his powerful effort was well saved by Tonet. And then, right on the verge of half-time, Panucci might have scored but his shot was saved twice by the keeper to keep the scores level at the break.

The second half began much like the first with Jávea seeking to put themselves ahead and the clearest chance came to Javi whose shot beat keeper Andrada but was blocked on the line by a defender. But then Dénia scored. And it was through the man who cleared off that line, meeting a corner in the area and he shot deflected off a defender into the net to put the visitors 2-1 in the lead. And they might have had three within minutes but Tonet was able to pull the ball away from Jaume’s feet just as the Dénia player was winding up for a shot before Fede hit the crossbar.

As the minutes ticked away, Jávea applied pressure and forced a succession of opportunities. First Mario heads over from six yards, then Javi smashes his shot into the side netting, before the clearest chance comes from a shot from José Cabo than the substitute keeper was able to push away spectacularly.

As the game descended into a proper derby of crunching tackles and a succession of debatable decisions from the officials against both sides, a further ten minutes was added to the regulation and Jávea, now reduced to ten men after an undeserved straight red was given to substitute Tomás (a yellow would have been suffice), made a final effort to find that equaliser, roared on by the home fans. But it was not to be.

In the last play of the game, Dénia pounce on a loose ball and Fede charges past a static defence to fire past the exposed Tonet from the edge of the area, the final kick of the game as the referee blew for full-time as the men in yellow celebrated in one corner of the field. Jávea players dropped to their knees but were lifted by the strong applause of the home fans who appreciated their efforts. The third goal was unlucky but this team would have capitulated long before. The resurgence under new head coach Julio Ivorra has taken a dent but the signs are clear that he is getting the side playing football again.

Original Article: El Dénia se lleva los tres puntos del municipal de Xàbia


Tonet, Marcos, Caturla, Mario, Aldo, Javi, Ramis (Carlos, 61m), Paco, Luis, Borja (Tomás, 51m), Cabo.

Subs not used: Aaron (GK), Bataller, Umar, Buigues, Toni.

Head Coach: Julio Ivorra


Andrada (Iván, 84m), Seguí (Palacio, 84m), Elías, Castillo, Palau, Molina (Pablo, 72m), Lucas, Lobo, Sirerol (Jaume, 61m), Panucci, Fede.

Subs not used: La Peña, Ronda, Renzo.

Head Coach: Diego Miñana