If the Fogueres de Sant Joan de Xàbia open up the summer season, the celebrations honouring Mare de Déu de Loreto – often known as the “port fiesta” – can be considered the opposite book-end, bring summer to an end in a spectacular fashion.
WEDNESDAY 16th AUGUST – THURSDAY 24th AUGUST
- 20:30 – NOVENA en honour of Mare de Déu de Loreto in the port church. On Wednesday 16th August, between 6.00pm and 7.30pm, the neighbours will be able to bring a donation of food for Cáritas.
TUESDAY 22nd AUGUST
- 09:30-13:30 / 17:00-20:30 – XI BLOOD DONATION DRIVE Dionís Henarejos.
The Comunidad Valenciana Transfusion Centre will be setting up in the headquarters of the Fiesta Commission in Calle Severo Ochoa.
Note: Any person, regardless of nationality, who lived continuously in the UK for a minimum of one year between 1980 and 1996 will not be able to donate blood due to the risk of transmitting mad cow disease.
THURSDAY 24th AUGUST
- 20:00 – MASS in honour of those of the parish who have passed and the solemn veneration of the image of the patron saint, Mare de Déu de Loreto. The Fiesta Commission will make a flower offering to presidents and members of the Commission who have passed.
- 21:30 – 2nd edition BEER TASTING Mare de Déu de Loreto. Five beers from the Ambar group. Limited to 65 people. Price: 15 euros. Registration can be between Monday 21st August to Wednesday 23rd August at the headquarters of the Fiesta Commission from 7.00pm to 9.00pm.
FRIDAY 25th AUGUST
- 22:00 – Communal Dinner in Paseo Pinto Joaquín Sorolla. The Fiesta Commission will provide an aperitif, a drink and a dessert to all attendees. Afterwards, there will be live music with Orquesta TWISTER until 03:30.
SATURDAY 26th AUGUST
Presentación de las Fiestas 2023
- 11:00 – 16th edition of Peña La U.C.A. Youth Fishing Competition in the Port de Xàbia. Open to children up to age of 12, registration will open at 10.00am on the same day and each participant should bring their own fishing equipment.
- 17:00 – 41st edition of the Peña La Bufa Cycling Trophy.
- 22:30 – PRESENTATION OF THE FIESTAS 2023. Presentation of the men and women who will be main representatives of this year’s fiestas in Avenida Lepanto. Afterwards, live music from MONTECARLO.
SUNDAY 27th AUGUST
Día del Deporte – Sports Day
- 10:00 – 40th edition of the Peña La Bufa Popular Road Race. Registration can be made on the same day at Cala Blanca, the start point of the race.
- 11:00 – Valencian Pilota: Palma. A match between XÀBIA and POBLE NOUE DE BENITATXELL in Calle Virgen de Loreto.
- 12:30 – Parade of the Fiesta Commission and the Peñas Marineras through the streets of the port zone. At the end, Penyeta Roja invites all participants for sangria in Paseo Jaime I.
- 17:00 – Valencian Pilota: Raspall. 31st edition of the championship between Peñas Marineras in Calle Virgen de Loreto.
- 17:30 – Torneo Majo-Pong in the peña enclosure, organised by the Mayorales 2023.
- 18:30 – Valencian Pilota: Raspall. A match between XÀBIA A (Sergio, Tomaca and Jocan) and ELS POBLETS (Mateu, Vallés and Canella) in Calle Virgen de Loreto.
- 19:30 – Prize giving for the 30th edition of the Children’s Painting Competition in honour of Dionis Henarejos Crespo in Avenida Lepanto. Afterwards, there will be a children’s show Mi Villana Favorita for all the family.
- 22:00 – COMEDY NIGHT in Avenida Lepanto. The Fiesta Commission Theatre Group TOT RIST will perform their own adaption of the enjoyable farce El Soldat de Nàpoles which was written by Antonio López Monís and Lázaro de O’Lein in 1918 and which has now been recovered by the commission. There will be a bar service with bocadillos.
MONDAY 28th AUGUST
- 22:00 – Sensational MUSICAL SHOW by the Fiesta Commission in Avenida Lepanto, who will be performing a set of well-known music from the 70s, 80s and 90s. There will be a bar service.
TUESDAY 29th AUGUST
- 20:00 – DANSÀ VORA MAR in Calle Triana. Traditional dancing with the Grup de Danses del Portitxol.
- 22:00 – Community Dinner in Calle Doctor Fleming. The Fiesta Commission will offer an aperitif, a drink and dessert. There will be a grand raffle and, afterwards, dancing to SWEET SOULZ until 03:00.
WEDNESDAY 30th AUGUST
- 21:00 – 8th edition WINE TASTING Mare de Déu de Loreto. This year’s gastronomic experience will be accompanied by four wines and four tapas. Limited to 60 people. Price: 25 euros. Registration will be on Thursday 29th August at the headquarters of the Fiesta Commission from 7.00pm to 8.00pm.
- 22:00 – Community Dinner in Grupo Bartolomé Ros. The Fiesta Commission will offer an aperitif, a drink and dessert. Afterwards, dancing to LA TRAMPA.
During the day, the neighbours of Duanes de la Mar will conclude the decoration of their balconies, streets and shop windows for the fiestas. The business association XÀBIA PORT and the FIESTA COMMISSION will be awarding prizes for the best decorated. The terms and conditions have been published in the Fiesta Book 2023 and on the social media of the association and the commission.
THURSDAY 31st AUGUST
- 12:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with bulls from Ranch BENAVENT and the inauguration of the world-famous BARET DELS BOUS for the 2023 season.
- 15:00 – 1st TARDEO organised by Penyeta Roja in Plaza Comare Maruja Varó. From 16:30, there will be music with DJs JUAN HDZ and LA GAVI until 21:30. There will be a bar service and German sausages.
- 19:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with bulls from Ranch LA PALOMA.
- 23:30 – DISCOMÓVIL organised by Peña Els Golossos and Les Doblaes in Paseo Pintor Joaquín Sorolla playing the best music of the moment until 03:30.
- 23:30 – BOUS AL CARRER / First Night of the 5th DESAFÍO EDU MONFORT GASENT. The ranches of ELS COVES and BENAVENT will face off with two cows and a bull each.
FRIDAY 1st SEPTEMBER
- 12:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with bulls from Ranch ELS COVES.
- 16:30 – 2nd edition of Tardeo Callejero in Calle Virgen de Loreto with DJs, table football tournament, and more surprises to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Peña El Tremoló. Registrations to participate in the tournament can be made with any member of the Peña. There will be a bar service. Until 23:00.
- 18:00 – Simultaneous Chess in Calle Severo Ochoa with the participation of Daniel García Román.
- 19:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with bulls from Ranch LA HERMANDAD.
- 23:30 – Discomóvil organised by Peñas Les Marineres and La Mamera in Paseo Jaume I until 04:00.
- 23:30 – BOUS AL CARRER / Recortadores Exhibition with the acrobatics of the best trimmers of the region, followed by the release of two cows from Ranch ELS COVES.
SATURDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER
Día de los Niños y Niñas – Children’s Day
- 09:00 – Children’s Wake-Up – Despertà – with the youngest members of the community for whom this special day is dedicated, starting in Avenida Jaime I. Each child should bring their own instrument to make a noise during the procession. However, the Fiesta Commission will provide an instrument to those who don’t have one.
- 09:30 – 33rd edition of the OPEN TABLE TENNIS TOURNAMENT Mare de Déu de Loreto organised by the Club Tennis Xàbia. Registration to participants can be made on the same day at the Palau Municipal d’Esports.
- 10:00 – Hot chocolate organised by the Fiesta Commission and prepared and distributed by the residents of Calle Doctor Fleming in Paseo Jaime I.
There will be traditional games in Calle Triana organised by the Fiesta Commission with the collaboration of the residents of the road.
In addition, there will be the traditional meringue fight in the Paseo Joaquín Sorolla organised by the Fiesta Commission, followed by the water fiesta (to wash it all off) in collaboration with Excavaciones Mayte.
- 11:00 – Opening of the Children’s Play Zone and Water Games in Paseo Jaime I.
- 12:00 –
Traditional Greasy Pole Challenge in the bull arena in collaboration with Peña La Bufa.
- 13:00 – Carretons a La Mar – bull head carts – in the bull arena for the younger bull runners. There will be a bar service. Parents are asked for their collaboration to keep a watch on their children, especially if they intend to jump into the sea at any point.
- 14:00 – Paella, drinks and ice creams for all the children offered by Celda SL and Supermercados SUMA in Calle Severo Ochoa.
- 19:30 – GRAND FLOAT PARADE with the participation of the Mayorales and Mayoralesas who have represented the fiesta throughout the years, musical groups and fun satirical offerings from the Peñas Marineras. The parade will start at the Lonja in the Port de Xàbia and will pass along Paseo Presidente Adolfo Suárez, Calle Santísmo Cristo del Mar, Avenida Lepanto, Calle Antoni Llidó, Calle Doctor Fleming, Avenida Jaime I and Plaza President Adolfo Suárez.
00:00 – EL FOC DE LA MAR · CORREFOCS performed by the XARXA TEATRE recalling our most deeply rooted Mediterranean roots around fire, the sea; the music of dulzaina and drum, dance and an aesthetic inspired by the artist Joan Mirò. Afterwards, Discomóvil BIT SOUND in Paseo Pintor Joaquín Sorolla with the best DJs until 04:00.
SUNDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER
Día de las Peñas Marineras – Peña Day
- 10:00 – 31st edition of the Chess Championship Mare de Déu de Loreto (34th edition of the Open Vila de Xàbia), organised by Club d’Escacs Xàbia.
- 10:00 – Communal Mid-Morning Snacks with all the Peñas Marineres.
- 11:30 – Fun procession with the Peñas Marineres to the bull arena for a new session of Bous a la Mar and Baret dels Bous.
- 12:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with animals from Ranch LA HERMANDAD.
- 15:00 – Communal Lunch for all Peñas Marineres with charanga and discomóvil.
- 19:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with animals from Ranch HERMANOS CALÍ.
- 19:00 – Children’s Magic Show in Calle Severo Ochoa. The Fiesta Commission will provide ice creams.
- 23:30 – BOUS AL CARRER / Second Night of the 5th DESAFÍO EDU MONFORT GASENT. The ranches of La PALOMA and EL CALÍ will face off with two cows and a bull each. Afterwards, there will be music and bar service until 03:30.
MONDAY 4th SEPTEMBER
- 11:30 – Travelling Planetarium for the children in Calle Severo Ochoa. Discover the universe and our solar system in a fun and enjoyable way. Until 13:30.
- 12:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with bulls from Ranch LA PALOMA.
- 16:00 – 1st edition of the HUMAN TABLE FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT organised by Peñas Les Doblaes and Antes Muerta Que Sencilla in Calle Sevilla. There will be music and a bar service until 21:30. Registrations to participate can be made with a member of the organising peñas.
- 17:00 – Travelling Planetarium for the children in Calle Severo Ochoa. Discover the universe and our solar system in a fun and enjoyable way. Until 19:30.
- 19:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with bulls from Ranch BENAVENT.
- 20:00 – Concert by the youth band of the Centre Artístic Musical de Xàbia in Paseo Pintor Joaquón Sorolla.
- 23:30 – BOUS AL CARRER / Third Night of the 5th DESAFÍO EDU MONFORT GASENT. The winning ranches for the first and second nights will face each other with two cows and a bull each.
- 00:00 – Fancy Dress Competition and Parade with xaranga through the streets of Duanes de la Mar organised by the peñas marineres.
TUESDAY 5th SEPTEMBER
- 10:00 – 11th edition of the ‘Gran Cagada’ organised by Peña La Bufa in the bull arena with a traditional brunch for all participants. The winner will be awarded their prize during the evening session of the bulls in the Baret dels Bous.
- 12:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with animals from Ranch EL CALÍ.
- 19:00 – BOUS A LA MAR with animals from Ranch ELS COVES. Afterwards, there will be a grand party to mark the closure of the legendary BARET DE BOUS A LA MAR for the end of the season.
- 22:00 – Disco Closing Bull’s Party organised by Peña El Tremelo in Paseo Pintor Joaquín Sorolla until 03:30.
WEDNESDAY 6th SEPTEMBER
Día de Nuestros Mayores – Senior Citizen’s Day
- 10:30 – Over 50s Brisca Tournament in the casal of Peña La Bufa (Calle Doctor Fleming).
- 11:00 – Traditional visit by the Mayorales 2023 and the Fiesta Commission to the Asilo Hospital Hermanos Cholbi. Afterwards, there will be a procession to the historic centre to give out coca maría and mistala and visit the Centro de Día Santa María de Betania. During this act, there will be an offering of flowers to the patron saint in her niche in Calle Loreto.
- 12:30 – Peña La Bufa invites all our senior citizens for an aperitif at their casal.
- 13:00 – Ringing of the Church Bells to announce the start of the religious celebrations in honour of the patron saint.
- 18:00 – Peña la Bufa will visit the Asilo Hospital Hermanos Cholbi.
- 19:30 – FLOWER OFFERING TO MARE DE DÉU DE LORETO. The Fiesta Commission invites all the Mayorales who have represented the fiesta to participante, as well as the peñas, streets, associations, local fiesta commissions, residents of Aduanas and all of Xàbia.
- 23:00 – NOCHE DE RONDA · Serenading of the Mayoralesas and Mayorales, starting in the port church. It will finish with complementary wine offered by the Mayorales 2023 and the Fiesta Commission in Calle Severo Ochoa.
THURSDAY 7th SEPTEMBER
Día del Santísimo Cristo del Mar
- 09:00 – Musical procession Pilatrix through the streets of the port, organised by Peñas Pili La Banyà and Liatrix.
- 09:00 – Ringing of the Church Bells to mark the day of celebration honouring Santísimo Cristo del Mar.
- 12:00 – Procession through the streets of the port by the Mayoralesas, Mayorales and the Fiesta Commision to Calle Santísimo Cristo del Mar. During the procession, offerings will be made to the patron saints in their respective niches.
- 13:00 – FESTA DE CARRER in Calle Santísimo Cristo del Mar organised by Peñas Pili La Banyà and Liatrix. During the act, the business association XÀBIA PORT will award the prizes for the winners of the decorations competition for this year.
- 18:30 – Procession by the Fiesta Commission to visit the decorated streets and accompany the Mayoralesas and Mayorales to the port church.
- 19:00 – Celebration of Mass in honour of Santísimo Cristo del Mar. The mass will be sung by the parish choir. Afterwards, there will be the PROCESSION OF SANTÍSIMO CRISTO DEL MAR through the streets of the port.
- 22:30 – Show WE LOVE QUEEN. An emotional homage to the legendary band led by Freddie Mercury in Paseo Pintor Joaquín Sorolla.
- 23:30 – Discomóvil organised by Peña La U.C.A. in Calle Doctor Fleming until 05:00.
- 00:00 – EL FOC DE LA MAR · CORREFOCS performed by the XARXA TEATRE recalling our most deeply rooted Mediterranean roots around fire, the sea; the music of dulzaina and drum, dance and an aesthetic inspired by the artist Joan Mirò.
- After the Correfocs – ALBÀ DE LA MARE DE DÉU DE LORETO. The firing of firework bouquets from different points in the port lighting up the sky at the beginning of the big day of our Patron Saint.
FRIDAY 8th SEPTEMBER
Día de la Virgen de Loreto
- 08:00 – Wake-Up Parade – despertà – through the streets of the port by the Fiesta Commission.
- 09:00 – Ringing of the Church Bells to mark the day of celebration in honour of the patron saint, the Virgen de Loreto.
- 11:00 – Procession by the Town Band and Fiesta Commission to collect the Mayorales 2023 and accompany them to the port church.
- 12:00 – Celebration of a SOLEMN MASS in honour of the patron Mare de Déu de Loreto attended by the municipal authorities, the Fishermen’s Brotherhood, representatives of other fiestas, the Mayorales 2022, the Fiesta Commission and the people of Xàbia. The mass will be sung by the parish choir. After mass, there will be a procession by all the attendees to watch the MASCLETÀ in Avenida Jaime I.
- 19:00 – Procession by the Fiesta Commission and the Town Band to visit the decorated streets and accompany the Mayoralesas and Mayorales to the port church.
- 20:00 – Solemn PROCESSION with the image of LA MARE DE DÉU DE LORETO through the streets of the port.
- 23:00 – Music with Orquesta EUFORIA in Paseo Pintor Joaquín Sorolla.
- 00:30 – Sensational AQUATIC FIREWORK DISPLAY which will bring the 125th anniversary of the fiestas in honor of la Mare de Déu de Loreto to a close. Afterwards, the music and dancing will continue until 04:00.
The mistreatment of the animals during the celebration of the acts of Bous a la Mar is totally prohibited, as is the presence of the under 16s and people under the influence of alcohol in the bull arena. In order to ensure compliance, there will be stewards from the Fiesta Commission and the organisation of the bulls present in the arena.
All floral works are carried out by Peña Liatrix.
For the community dinners, each person should bring along their own food and the Fiesta Commision will provide an aperitif, a drink and a dessert.
The Fiesta Commission reserves the right to change the fiesta programme and the acts when it is necessary to do so.