javeamigos.com | INDEXjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - FIESTA GUIDEjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - EATING AND DRINKINGjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - WALKING GUIDEjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - HOLIDAY GUIDE

javeamigos.com | JAVEA - BUSINESS DIRECTORYjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - PAPERWORKjaveamigos.com | SPORT IN JAVEAjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - EVENTS GUIDEjaveamigos.com | ADVERTISE WITH US


javeamigos.com | VIRGEN DEL CARMEN

 


FOGUERES 2020 IS FINALLY CANCELLED

javeamigos.com | FOGUERES 2020 IS FINALLY CANCELLED

There will be no Fogueres de Sant Joan de Xàbia this year. The uncertainty of the evolution of the COVID-19 health crisis has forced Xàbia Council to act with the utmost prudence and cancel all events that could involve crowds, amongst them being all the fiestas that are celebrated in the town.

The Fogueres, which normally take place in June, are undoubtedly the biggest celebrations of the year, attracting many thousands of people to the town for the iconic Nit dels Focs alone, and its uniqueness saw the town try and salvage them by holding them later in the year in October when it was thought that normality would have recovered, even changing local holidays so that the entire population could enjoy them.  However with the epidemic not fully  controlled in the country and the health authorities already warning of the very real threat of short-term outbreaks in the next few months, the Department of Fiestas decided to completely cancel the event for this year.

Councillor Kika Mata (Fiestas) explained that the decision has not been taken lightly and has the backing of the Fogueres Comission who met on earlier in the week to be told the news. In addition, the main representatives of Quintà 2020, the protagonists of the fiesta, have also been informed and, although they are sad about the news, they understand that a fiesta cannot be planned in a situation of uncertainty that Spain and the whole world is experiencing at the moment and that it cannot be fair for their families to bear the enormous cost of participating without the guarantee that it will happen.

Mata added that the it has been the quintas themselves who have been the first to declare that didn't want a fiesta without all the events, such as the iconic Nit dels Focs, and with a fiesta programme planned to ensure social distancing. She said that "it is a year that they have been looking forward to and we know that it will come as a great disappointment to them. But it is an unprecedented situation which has affected the entire planet and it is not anyone's fault" adding a promise that 2021 "they will have the fiesta with the conditions and the leading role that they deserve."

Mayor José Chulvi expressed his sympathy for the decision that was not unexpected but that doesn't make it any less painful to have to make. He trusts that the majority of the people of Xàbia understands that this option to put the health of the general population ahead of the fiesta is the only one available for a responsible administration. He has spoken with the main representatives of Quintà 2020, giving special words of encouragement to Marta, the Fogueres Queen, and to its presidents, Javier and Zara, and all the young people who make up this very special fiesta collective. Very aware of the huge disappointment that they are feeling right now, he has sent a message of encouragement and called on them think positive as they have another year ahead of them and that their Fogueres "will be a historic one" not only because they have had to live with the fear of hugging or wearing a face mask but because they will have the accumulated joy of two years.

Source: Ayuntamiento de Xàbia
Date: Thursday 18th June 2020


Xàbia cancela definitivamente les Fogueres de Sant Joan 2020

El Ayuntamiento de Xàbia ha acordado suspender definitivamente les Fogueres de Sant Joan 2020. La incertidumbre que sigue rodeando la evolución de la pandemia de la Covid19 obliga al Consistorio a actuar con la máxima prudencia y por ello ha ido cancelando todos los eventos que pudieran comportar aglomeraciones, entre ellos todas las fiestas que se celebran en la población.

La singularidad de les Fogueres de Sant Joan (sus protagonistas cada año cambian ya que son los jóvenes que cumplen la mayoría de edad) ha hecho que Xàbia haya intentado salvarlas hasta el último momento. En abril se acordó aplazarlas a octubre –cuando se pensaba que se habría recuperado la normalidad- e incluso se cambiaron los festivos locales para que toda la población –muy involucrada con les penyes santjoaneres- pudiera disfrutarlas. No obstante, a día de hoy la epidemia sigue sin estar totalmente controlada en el país y las autoridades sanitarias ya advierten de la amenaza real de rebrotes a corto plazo por lo que el Ayuntamiento ha abogado por la prudencia y ha decidido cancelarlas definitivamente.

La concejala de Fiestas, Kika Mata, ha explicado que la decisión se ha meditado mucho y cuenta con el respaldo de la comisión de Fogueres. También los máximos representantes de la Quintà han sido informados y, aunque están muy tristes, comprenden que no se puede planificar con esta incertidumbre y que no es justo para las familias de los festeros asumir un desembolso tan importante sin garantías.

Mata ha añadido que “los propios quintos son los primeros que no quieren unas fiestas como las que nos veíamos obligados a plantear”, sin actos tan emblemáticos como la Nit dels Focs y con todo el programa condicionado por la distancia social. “Es un año que esperan con mucha ilusión y sabemos que es un disgusto grande, pero es una situación sin precedentes, que ha acabado con la normalidad de todo el planeta…y no es culpa de nadie” ha apuntado la concejala, que se ha comprometido a que en 2021 “tendrán unas fiestas en condiciones y con el protagonismo que se merecen”.

Por su parte, el alcalde, José Chulvi, ha querido mostrar su apoyo a la responsable de fiestas en un momento “que no por esperado es menos doloroso” y ha confiado en que la mayoría de la población comprenda que esta decisión, la que pone por delante la protección general de la salud “es la única salida para una administración responsable”.

El primer edil ha comunicado la decisión hoy a los portavoces y ha querido tener unas palabras especiales de ánimo para Marta, la reina de les Fogueres 2020, los presidentes de la quintà, Javier y Zara, y todos los jóvenes que forman este colectivo festero. Chulvi, consciente de la decepción que están viviendo en estos momentos, les ha animado a pensar en positivo ya que tienen por delante otro año de quintà y además sus Fogueres “serán históricas” y “no por tener que vivirlas con miedo a abrazarse o llevando mascarilla sino porque tendrán la alegría acumulada de dos años”.


 

 

 

 


javeamigos.com | BESIDES THE SEA