Tuesday 15th September 2015
The Ayuntamiento de Xabia has announced its commitment to the 14th edition of the European Mobility week which will be taking place between 16th and 22nd September. Under the motto "Choose. Change. Combine.", the event is an initiative of the European Parliament in Brussels and some 1,486 cities across the continent will be taking part in a week of activities which promote the sustainable mobility alternatives to create a more sustainable transport strategy for Europe. At the time of writing, 273 cities across Spain will be taking part, including Xabia, the second most active nation in this year's campaign behind Austria who will have 432 cities participating; by comparison, the United Kingdom will have only eight taking part.
In Xabia, the Departments of Citizen Participation and of Mobility, headed by councillor Montse Villaverde and Juan Luis Luengo represetively, will be organising various activities in the municipality, one of which will be taking place this Sunday 20th September, the nominated "car-free day", when a bicycle rally will be 'reclaiming' the streets. The ride will begin at 10.00am from the Plaza de la Constitucion and will tour the various centre of Xabia to end up at the Arenal where the participants will take some brunch together. Aftewards, the cyclists will return to the town. This event, which has been organised with the collaboration of the Club Ciclista de Xabia, is open to everyone with the only requisite being that everyone taking part must wear a helmet.
Other activities planned include an educational workshop aimed the Year 6 students at all the education centres in Xabia during which the youngsters will be taking to the streets to learn about traffic violations commited by car drivers and issue symbolic fines to raise awareness of the need to respect both the rules of the road and the general public.
Xabia will also be committing to other projects related to mobility and alternative transport including the support of the 'Red de Ciudades por la Bicicleta' which is an association of local groups who create a common dynamic to develop an easier and safer cycle network, especially in town centres. The forum also encourages initiatives and infrastructure to achieve a safe cycling environment, promote the use of bicycles by exploring their potential as a quiet and clean mode of transport which not only affordable and sustainable but also more appropriate for short journeys.
There will also be an initiative to introduce a register of bicycles in Xabia - "biciregistro"- as part of the national network which makes it easier to search for a bicycle should it go missing.
XABIA'S COMMITMENT TO EUROPEAN MOBILITY WEEK
* To organise a week of activities, taking into account the focal theme.
* To Implement one or more new permanent measure(s), which contribute(s) to modal transfer from private car to environmentally sound means of transport. Where possible, at least one of the measures should be a permanent reallocation of road spacein favour of walking, cycling or public transport (e.g. road closure, wider pavement, new cycle or bus lane, new traffic calming scheme, lower speed limit).
* To Organise a "Car-Free Day" event ... by closing one or more streets to traffic, and instead opening it to pedestrians, cyclists and public transport.
Permanent Measures Implemented
* Improvement of bicycle facilities (parking, locks, etc.)
* Installation of bicycle parking areas in schools and in the town centre.
* Improvement of infrastructure (new foot bridges, pavements, road crossings, zebra crossings, etc).
* Improvement of infrastructure next to schools with more zebra crossings, etc.
Actions Relative to the Theme
Implementation of the project PAS A PAS CAMINS ESCOLARS which has created a safe walking route for children to travel to and from school.
Sunday 20th September will be the "Car-Free Day" and nominated as the official "Day of the Bicycle".
For more information: www.mobilityweek.eu