javeamigos.com | INDEXjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - FIESTA GUIDEjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - EATING AND DRINKINGjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - WALKING GUIDEjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - HOLIDAY GUIDE

javeamigos.com | JAVEA - BUSINESS DIRECTORYjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - PAPERWORKjaveamigos.com | SPORT IN JAVEAjaveamigos.com | JAVEA - EVENTS GUIDEjaveamigos.com | ADVERTISE WITH US

javeamigos.com | VIRGEN DEL CARMEN

javeamigos.com | HAMILTONS OF LONDON

Fire-fighting units battled for almost four hours to bring the inferno under control

Monday 9th July 2018

JAVEA NEWS | Montgo Fire 2018

Just a few days after the start of a campaign promoted by the Ayuntamiento de Xàbia to raise public awareness of the risk of forest fires during the hot summer season, around six acres of the eastern flanks mountain of Montgó were engulfed in flames during a hot Sunday afternoon with thick smoke clearly seen from both sides of the mountain. Ground and aerial assets fought to control the blaze for some four hours. The cause is as yet unknown.

The fire was reported at 3.30pm, the base of which appeared to have been alongside the Camí de la Colonia which traverses along the northern flanks on the mountain on its northern side and joins the ascent to the summit close to the Cova del Camell. Units from the fire service based in Dénia fought the flames to prevent them from reaching the houses that sit on that side of the mountain.

A temporary command centre was set up at the Dénia shooting range on La Plana to manage the fire-fighting efforts and was visited by mayor José Chulvi along with councillor Pepa Gisbert (Security) as well as Dénia mayor Vicent Grimalt, his deputy Rafa Carrío and security councillor Javier Scotto.

Aerial fire-fighting assets including five helicopters and two planes supported grounds including regional, provincial and forestry park fire brigades, the Protección Civil volunteers from Xàbia and Dénia, Cruz Roja de Xàbia, the ISVH Voluntarios and ACIF-Marina Alta volunteers in fighting the blaze as the winds pushed it along the eastern flanks and across the summit path. The units worked on creating a strip to prevent the flames crossing down into Xàbia. Three walkers were rescued uninjured by helicopter and others on the summit were able to descend safely using the western path down to Jesús Pobre.

The fire was reported to have been stabilised at 6.30pm and brought under control at 8.00pm. Units continued with the process of damping down the affected area with observers stationed overnight to keep an eye in case.


Share on Tumblr

javeamigos.com | BESIDES THE SEA